Opening an existing font or creating a new one from scratch automatically opens the font window, which displays all of the font’s glyphs at once. When you make changes to a glyph in the glyph editor window, the changes are automatically reflected in the font window once the glyph editor is closed. This means you always know exactly what changes you’ve made, and which ones you have yet to apply.
BitFonter offers some drawing tools like a pencil, eraser and brush, as well as some more advanced tools. These include shape-makers for drawing lines, rectangles, ellipses and polygons, as well as a fill tool for adding colour and a magic wand selection tool. There is even a text tool that will insert characters for you to use as a basis for creating your own glyphs.
BitFonter offers exceptional font effects that go beyond the basic scale, skew and rotate. Creating bold effects is easy and you can apply a number of filters, including sharpen, soften, Gaussian blur, emboss (or even a custom filter).
Since bitmap fonts are able to incorporate colour, BitFonter gives you the ability to adjust brightness, contrast, hue and saturation. And if you’re working with images, the remove background feature might come in quite handy.
BitFonter is also the only bitmap-based font generator that allows you to create blended fonts. You can do this by simply taking two fonts and combining them into a new font. It also stands apart from other bitmap font creators in that it allows you to manually or automatically edit kerning, which most other bitmap font generators are too basic to include. You can also create outlines from your bitmap image with the auto trace function.
BitFonter’s glyph metrics editor makes metrics easy, thanks to a what-you-see-is-what-you-get interface. And you can add or remove glyphs just by typing them into the editor as you would type in a word processor.
Turn anything into fonts.
Automatically convert scanned images or digital photos into bitmap fonts.
Extend your personal font library.
With BitFonter, you can remix, scratch and customise your fonts.
Be creative with Photofont
Photofonts bring the beauty of full-colour bitmap fonts with texture and transparency to both print and web pages.
Bitmap font conversion.
Convert between any of the supported bitmap font formats.
Bitmap fonts for electronic devices.
Create fonts in a variety of formats usable in printers and imaging devices, mobile electronic devices, phones and electronic displays.
Superb screen legibility.
Create razor-sharp fonts that improve screen text legibility in small font sizes.
Multilingual Unicode fonts.
Create Unicode-compatible bitmap fonts for any script, alphabet or language.
BitFonter’s interface is incredibly easy to navigate and boasts pop-out windows for each function and tool palate. Fully unleash the power and flexibility of bitmap fonts with BitFonter!
- Opens BitFonter 3 Document (.bfb), Photofont (.phf), OpenType SBIT (.ttf), BDF, Windows (.fon, .fnt), X11 (.pcf), PalmOS (.pdb), IBM AFP, HP PCL (.sfp), EPS, PNG, TIFF, JPEG, GIF, etc. Mac version also opens Mac font suitcase, Mac TrueType, PDF, Photoshop (.psd).
- Imports AFM metrics, rasterised bitmaps in a outline font installed on the system or from a supported outline font editor (Supported outline font editors include FontLab Studio 5.0.3 or higher, TypeTool 3.0.0 or higher).
- Saves BitFonter 3 Document (.bfb), Photofont (.phf), OpenType SBIT (.ttf), BDF, Windows (.fon, .fnt), PalmOS (.pdb), IBM AFP, HP PCL (.sfp), etc. Mac version also saves Mac font suitcase, Mac TrueType.
- Exports PNG, TIFF, AFM metrics, FontLab VFB, outline font or pixelfont to a supported outline font editor (Supported outline font editors include FontLab Studio 5.0.3 or higher, TypeTool 3.0.0 or higher).
- Drawing tools Pencil, Eraser, Brush, Text tool, Line, Rectangle and Ellipse tool, Fill, Rotate, Marquee selection, freeform selection, magic wand selection. All tools can work in various colour modes, from black/white through grayscale and 8-bit palette to 24-bit RGB colour with alpha transparency.
- Special tools metrics editor, tools to extract characters from image.
- Encoding support for the Unicode basic multilingual plane, various codepages and encodings.
- Windows Project window, Font window (with the glyph preview and string preview panels), Glyph window, Preview window, Image window, Metrics window.
- Panels Info, Tool, Palette (includes optional transparency selector), Brushes, Tool options.
- Transformation Scale, Slant, Rotate, Bold (for black-white fonts only).
- Filters and effects Change colour depth, Resize, Merge fonts, Sharpen, Soften, Gaussian blur, Smart blur, Brightness/Contrast, Hue/Saturation, Colorise/Texturise, Remove background, Median noise, Custom filter and more.
- Undo levels up to 100 levels (customisable)